Electronics for Kids
|Home » |
My Pal Scout
“I can learn your name!”
Give learning a personal touch with a soft, cuddly puppy pal. Scout is a plush, interactive learning toy that can be personalized to learn your child’s name and favorite songs, colors, food and more. Just connect the pup to a computer and start personalizing. Then, turn the teaching over to Scout and explore first words, numbers, daily routines and feelings. As children play with Scout, friendly activities encourage them to talk and sing along. This interaction can help develop early language skills as children start down the path to literacy. My Pal Scout is appropriate for children ages 6 to 36 months.
- Learning about numbers: Children are introduced to number names and number order through counting games and activities.
- Introducing Daily Routines: Learning about daily routines help children develop a sense of time and sequence.
- Learning about Feelings: Even very young children can begin to recognize and express their feelings, as well as the feelings of others.
“Press my paw to play music, songs or games.”
Enjoyable music, sing-along songs, and lullabies are always available at the press of a paw. Press the Daytime Songs paw to sing along with up to five different, active, upbeat songs. When children are ready for new challenges, parents can connect Scout to a computer and select, download and swap in new tunes. To play learning games with Scout, press the Activities paw. The puppy starts the conversation by asking about your child’s favorite things, but the interaction doesn’t stop there.
Scout has lots to say, and this includes silly surprises like counting hiccups and pretending to be other animals, as well as more thoughtful communications, like talking about feelings. (For example, Scout might say: “I feel happy; show me your biggest smile.”) When it’s time to wind down from the day’s adventures, press the Lullabies paw to hear soothing lullaby music. These mellow tunes transition from a day of active learning to quiet naptime or nighttime. Once again, parents can choose and change the songs found in the Lullabies paw by downloading up to 5 new melodies and setting Scout for 2, 5, or 10 minutes of blissful bedtime music.
Stay connected to your child’s learning with the LeapFrog Learning Path.
Scout is here to help children learn, and you can teach him a few tricks, too. Select your child’s name from a list of thousands, and Scout will express his love and friendship by the name you select. Personalize the learning even more by customizing Scout with your child’s favorite animal, food and color. Your pal also stores and plays up to five daytime melodies and five nighttime lullabies from a selection of more than 30 tunes you can download to Scout.
Parents can connect to the LeapFrog Learning Path for customized learning insights and ideas to expand the learning. For each LeapFrog toy on your child’s path, you can see the skills explored during play and learn about what comes next. With Learning Path, you can get customized emails with learning tips and creative ideas to enrich and inspire more learning adventures and, find additional learning toys that match your child’s passions and interests.
Download your child's name and favorite things to this cuddly customizable puppy, Scout (Internet connection required)
Listen to any of 5 pre-loaded songs, 4 learning songs and 3 playful melodies
Press Scout's paws for lullabies, learning songs and activities with numbers, animals, food and more
Parents can connect to the online LeapFrog Learning Path for customized learning ideas and insights from LeapFrog
Select music from an online list of 30 songs (Internet connection required)
|Average Customer Rating:
|| based on 1173 reviews|
Average Customer Review:
( 1173 customer reviews )
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
98 of 106 found the following review helpful:
Lots of Potential with Online CustomizationJun 02, 2009
By Emily M. Vose
My year old son got this for his birthday and although he loves it and it is a neat toy, it really could have been technically executed a little better. I am hoping they send out updates via the USB cord to make his speech a little bit smoother and that they enhance the variety of "elevator" music available
The USB cable that comes with Scout is incredibly short and I would recommend a second mini USB cable if you do not already have one for another computer peripheral. The customization process was straight forward and we had him done quickly. My only complaint is that you have to create a user account and the Internet is required but that's a minor compliant since Scout ships able to be interactive without being customized. Additionally, Scout has volume control on his battery box and is not obnoxiously loud even on his highest volume
Scout is very, very soft and even with the battery box in his trunk, the puppy's body is soft and cuddly. My son spends a lot of his play time with Scout hugging him and petting him.
Scout has three main features - Play games, Sing Songs, and Night Songs (the fourth paw is on and off):
- The Play Games paw just chatters with your child. Asking him what his favorite color, animal and food is - Scout and Baby have the same ones after you program them. Scout also makes animal noises, talks about feelings "I feel happy, show me your biggest smile!" and engages your child in direct dialog.
- The songs Scout sings are cute and the choices you make when customizing show up in the songs he sings. Poor technical integration is shown when any of the customized items appear in the songs - Scout sounds like he has a speech problem because the tamper and inflection of the customized objects does not match the song being sung. Also, the only music you can customize in this section is elevator music. I would like to see songs with words, more known children's songs (very surprised not to see "Baby Beluga") or the ability to add your own music to Scout.
- The Night Songs paw is pretty cool. You click it once and it does 2 mins of the "night" music you choose when customizing continuously. Press it again, you get 5; once more and you get 10. Although our guy doesn't have problems sleeping, it might be a nice touch if your little one has some problems sleeping or being alone in the quiet.
All in all, our only real concern is that Scout might be the first toy he has worthy of being "that" toy he can't live without! We have a competitors talking puppy that drives us up the wall ("TUMMY!").
If you are looking for a chatty puppy - Get Scout or Violet.
47 of 49 found the following review helpful:
Awesome toy!Oct 06, 2009
By S. Waldrop
We got this toy for my one-year-old and she loves it! You can program in your child's name, favorite color, favorite animal, and favorite food. You can also select five songs for it to play and five different lullabyes (for a total of ten personalized songs). My little one's favorite song is the one that spells her name. The toy is just AWESOME!
67 of 74 found the following review helpful:
cut and cuddlyOct 20, 2009
I agree with other reviewers, not much to complain about for a customizable toy for under $20.00.
1) One of the songs Scout sings is really super cute. It's the one that incorporates your child's favorites. When I sing along with Scout my son giggles, it's so darn adorable.
2) I have a glowworm that plays nighttime music for like 15 seconds, not long enough. Scout plays up to 10 minutes - GREAT FEATURE!
3) Scout is very soft and huggable.
4) When my son recognizes his name I'm sure he'll appreciate it more, but for now, it's just, well, cool to hear his name come from a toy. Gotta love technology.
1) You have to choose a favorite animal, color and food during set up. He's six months old - I don't think he has favorites at this point, and if he did, how am I supposed to know what they are?....so I just put in any old thing for now. When I want to change them, I have to plug Scout in and download new options. It should just have all the colors and foods and animals programmed in instead of "What's your favorite?".
2) There is a pretty bad inflection at the end of my son's name (Christian). I have not tried putting other names in there to see what they sound like, but his sounds a little weird.
3) "Let's sing a song about you". Hmm, well, all it does is spell his name with a funky beat behind it. He seems to like it though.
Overall my son seems to like Scout a lot. When he hears his voice he immediately looks for him and smiles when he finds him. The things I don't like about it really don't matter because the toy is not for me, it's for my son and he likes it just fine. For the price, a definite buy.
42 of 48 found the following review helpful:
Awesome Concept, But Not DurableSep 22, 2010
My 1-year-old received this as a gift for her first birthday. She loved playing with it and singing the songs, and the fact that the dog "knows" her name and favorite colors, etc., is such a wonderful feature. Unfortunately, the dog quit working after only about 6 months. We replaced the batteries, but no luck. The dog still looks brand new - we had taken very good care of it, and it was not exposed to water or anything else that might cause damage. The product only has a 3-month warranty, which is pretty poor, I think. This is the second LeapFrog toy that just quit working one day, and the company's response is always the same...too bad. I will really think twice about purchasing any LeapFrog products in the future.
39 of 46 found the following review helpful:
The BEST Toy For A One Year Old!Nov 19, 2009
By Mommy Danielle
My daughter got this toy for her first birthday and she hasn't slept without it since! Violet sings her bedtime music and says "x minutes of bedtime music! Snuggle up _name_" It is too cute. In the morning my daughter will play with Violet for around 30 minutes before she wants out of her crib. She is in love with this toy. It's been such a hit in our house that we are getting one for each of my nieces aged 1 year and 2 years old. It was very easy to download my child's name onto Violet. It took less than 20 minutes.
See all 1173 customer reviews on Amazon.com