Electronics for Kids
|Home » |
LeapFrog My Pal Scout
Leapfrog Enterprises 19156 Inflatable Learning Item 19156 Learning
Download your child's name and favorite things to this cuddly customizable puppy, Scout (Internet connection required)
Listen to any of 5 pre-loaded songs, 4 learning songs and 3 playful melodies
Press Scout's paws for lullabies, learning songs and activities with numbers, animals, food and more
Parents can connect to the online LeapFrog Learning Path for customized learning ideas and insights from LeapFrog
Select music from an online list of 30 songs (Internet connection required)
Style or version may vary
|Average Customer Rating:
|| based on 1633 reviews|
Average Customer Review:
( 1633 customer reviews )
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
115 of 124 found the following review helpful:
Lots of Potential with Online CustomizationJun 02, 2009
By Emily M. Vose
My year old son got this for his birthday and although he loves it and it is a neat toy, it really could have been technically executed a little better. I am hoping they send out updates via the USB cord to make his speech a little bit smoother and that they enhance the variety of "elevator" music available
The USB cable that comes with Scout is incredibly short and I would recommend a second mini USB cable if you do not already have one for another computer peripheral. The customization process was straight forward and we had him done quickly. My only complaint is that you have to create a user account and the Internet is required but that's a minor compliant since Scout ships able to be interactive without being customized. Additionally, Scout has volume control on his battery box and is not obnoxiously loud even on his highest volume
Scout is very, very soft and even with the battery box in his trunk, the puppy's body is soft and cuddly. My son spends a lot of his play time with Scout hugging him and petting him.
Scout has three main features - Play games, Sing Songs, and Night Songs (the fourth paw is on and off):
- The Play Games paw just chatters with your child. Asking him what his favorite color, animal and food is - Scout and Baby have the same ones after you program them. Scout also makes animal noises, talks about feelings "I feel happy, show me your biggest smile!" and engages your child in direct dialog.
- The songs Scout sings are cute and the choices you make when customizing show up in the songs he sings. Poor technical integration is shown when any of the customized items appear in the songs - Scout sounds like he has a speech problem because the tamper and inflection of the customized objects does not match the song being sung. Also, the only music you can customize in this section is elevator music. I would like to see songs with words, more known children's songs (very surprised not to see "Baby Beluga") or the ability to add your own music to Scout.
- The Night Songs paw is pretty cool. You click it once and it does 2 mins of the "night" music you choose when customizing continuously. Press it again, you get 5; once more and you get 10. Although our guy doesn't have problems sleeping, it might be a nice touch if your little one has some problems sleeping or being alone in the quiet.
All in all, our only real concern is that Scout might be the first toy he has worthy of being "that" toy he can't live without! We have a competitors talking puppy that drives us up the wall ("TUMMY!").
If you are looking for a chatty puppy - Get Scout or Violet.
53 of 55 found the following review helpful:
Awesome toy!Oct 06, 2009
By S. Waldrop
We got this toy for my one-year-old and she loves it! You can program in your child's name, favorite color, favorite animal, and favorite food. You can also select five songs for it to play and five different lullabyes (for a total of ten personalized songs). My little one's favorite song is the one that spells her name. The toy is just AWESOME!
92 of 106 found the following review helpful:
cut and cuddlyOct 20, 2009
I agree with other reviewers, not much to complain about for a customizable toy for under $20.00.
1) One of the songs Scout sings is really super cute. It's the one that incorporates your child's favorites. When I sing along with Scout my son giggles, it's so darn adorable.
2) I have a glowworm that plays nighttime music for like 15 seconds, not long enough. Scout plays up to 10 minutes - GREAT FEATURE!
3) Scout is very soft and huggable.
4) When my son recognizes his name I'm sure he'll appreciate it more, but for now, it's just, well, cool to hear his name come from a toy. Gotta love technology.
1) You have to choose a favorite animal, color and food during set up. He's six months old - I don't think he has favorites at this point, and if he did, how am I supposed to know what they are?....so I just put in any old thing for now. When I want to change them, I have to plug Scout in and download new options. It should just have all the colors and foods and animals programmed in instead of "What's your favorite?".
2) There is a pretty bad inflection at the end of my son's name (Christian). I have not tried putting other names in there to see what they sound like, but his sounds a little weird.
3) "Let's sing a song about you". Hmm, well, all it does is spell his name with a funky beat behind it. He seems to like it though.
Overall my son seems to like Scout a lot. When he hears his voice he immediately looks for him and smiles when he finds him. The things I don't like about it really don't matter because the toy is not for me, it's for my son and he likes it just fine. For the price, a definite buy.
22 of 23 found the following review helpful:
GREAT GIFT IDEAOct 21, 2009
By Amber Cliff
This is the best baby shower gift ever. The toy is personalized for the baby, and provides learning tools and sleepy time music. A great gift!
46 of 54 found the following review helpful:
The BEST Toy For A One Year Old!Nov 19, 2009
By Mommy Danielle
My daughter got this toy for her first birthday and she hasn't slept without it since! Violet sings her bedtime music and says "x minutes of bedtime music! Snuggle up _name_" It is too cute. In the morning my daughter will play with Violet for around 30 minutes before she wants out of her crib. She is in love with this toy. It's been such a hit in our house that we are getting one for each of my nieces aged 1 year and 2 years old. It was very easy to download my child's name onto Violet. It took less than 20 minutes.
See all 1633 customer reviews on Amazon.com